Front of House and Patron Experience Manager (Regular/Full-time)
Reports To: Sales and Revenue Manager
Employment Status: Regular/Full-time
The Alliance Theatre is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors.
The Alliance Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The Front of House and Patron Experience Manager leads the Alliance Theatre’s patron-facing initiatives, ensuring best-in-class patron experiences at every touch point in the customer journey. The Front of House and Patron Experience Manager manages full- and part-time front of house staff, ushers and STARS volunteers, and serves as the primary liaison with the Woodruff Arts Center to create exceptional experiences for Alliance Theatre patrons. The Alliance Theatre produces approximately 12 shows annually, including shows on the 650-seat Coca-Cola Stage, the 200-seat Hertz Stage, and the 350-seat Rich Theatre.
• Typically, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm with many evenings and weekends and some early mornings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Patron Experience management duties include:
• Serve as the primary point of contact between the Alliance Theatre and its many and diverse patrons.
• Lead on-site patron services at Alliance special events as needed, including attending all opening night performances, to ensure patrons are welcomed and recognized.
• Train and supervise the patron services team (Front of House staff, Part Time House Managers and Usher Volunteers) to ensure that Front of House and ticketing staff consistently deliver the highest level of customer service.
• Collaborate with the Sales and Revenue Manager and Season Ticket Concierge to ensure that season ticket subscribers receive the full benefits of their subscription, including seating priority, discounts and access to special events.
• Liaise with the Woodruff Arts Center staff (patron services, box office, maintenance, housekeeping, security, events) on behalf of Alliance Theatre patrons to ensure that patron spaces are safe, inviting, clean and operational.
• Implement strategies that cultivate patron loyalty, including patron recognition, “surprise and delight” opportunities, special amenities and events.
• Work closely with Woodruff Arts Center staff, ensuring that Patron Services team is properly trained and able to assist with evacuations and security measures in the event of an emergency.
• Attend meetings and serve as the Alliance’s primary representative to Alliance Theatre STARS volunteers meetings and coordinate annual volunteer appreciation events.
• Manage complimentary ticket requests, artist ticket requests and opening night lists, communicating policies with artists at orientation and Alliance Staff as required.
Front of House management duties include:
• Welcome all patrons to the Alliance Theatre as valued guests, demonstrating respect, hospitality and professionalism in all interactions.
• Supervise Front of House operations, ensuring the comfort, safety and security of patrons for all Alliance Theatre programming, including: Coca-Cola Stage Series, Hertz Stage Series and readings as required.
• Ensure the safe and orderly seating of patrons, including through training and motivating volunteer ushers.
• Communicate with Stage Management team as required to ensure timely seating and clearing of the house.
• Manage and schedule the Front of House Staff.
• Coordinate with the Woodruff Arts Center Box Office staff to resolve seating discrepancies in a professional and pleasant manner.
• Write detailed written reports after every performance using the Alliance Theatre’s House Manager Worksheet — including information on any issues or concerns that affect patron or staff safety, comfort and satisfaction – and circulate to WAC and Alliance staff.
• Maintain the volunteer usher database and communicate with usher corps in a timely fashion, including email newsletter, regular maintenance of phone hotline website, email, and postal mailings. Coordinate with Alliance Theatre and WAC staff to improve accessibility for patrons of all abilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or minimum of three to five years related experience in patron services and house management, preferably for a theater or performing arts venue.
• Computer skills essential to this position: MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
• Experience with Wufoo or other online form system is preferred.
• Experience with Tessitura CRM is preferred.
• Experience managing staff and collaborating successfully in a matrixed organization.
• Outward-facing customer service experience, preferably in an arts environment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong customer service skills.
• Ability to balance many responsibilities in a calm and efficient manner, and to anticipate and solve problems with minimal supervision.
• High level of self-direction, self-motivation and ability to set priorities.
• Works effectively as both a team player and team leader.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Knowledge of basic office machines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 20 pounds) is needed.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.